Jennifer Grizzard Ekzarkhov
November 2014 – Present
Principal/Communications and Brand Strategist
Good, Unlimited., DC Metro Area
Good, Unlimited. is brand and communications studio that helps values-driven organizations and businesses harness the power of creative communications and authentic brand. We know from experience that when those two things are understood and acted upon, the good that comes of it is truly unlimited. Clients include: the Jane Goodall Institute, Rainbow Therapeutic Riding Center, the Cass Clutch and EQ Swimwear, Inc.
November 2010 – November 2014
Director of Marketing and Communications
TechnoServe, Washington, DC
Responsible for all aspects of TechnoServe’s brand, marketing and communications. Set integrated, offline and digital strategy, and determine communications tools, particularly through online sources to enhance awareness of TechnoServe’s programs and increase financial support for the organization and its mission. Advise CEO, executive team and other senior managers on key communications opportunities and challenges, including crisis communications, reputation and brand management, and public relations. Specific accomplishments include:
- Led 18-month process to refresh the brand of the nearly 45-year old organization: socialized the branding process and results internally to a staff of 1,000 in nearly 30 countries, and externally to a network of 50+ partners.
- Led the restructure and redesign of the organizational website to optimize for the new brand and fundraising; integrated online fundraising with direct mail.
- Moved the organization out of a static state of communications, driven mostly by press releases, to a dynamic, proactive state. Developed strategy for extending message to reach target audiences through use of web, social media and public relations.
- Led and developed partnership communications committees with major public and private partners, including: The Coca-Cola Company, MasterCard Foundation, Edun, General Mills, IDB, USAID.
- Developed a framework for communications knowledge management using Google Drive, Google sites and digital asset management. Created a global network of communications contacts in 30+ countries and multiple supporting programs and departments.
- Created and socialized the organization’s first crisis communications policy and procedure. Worked with senior and program staff to successfully manage multiple crises using the procedure.
- Led the development of all major communications vehicles, including: website, annual report, strategic plan.
- Created and managed $500k+ annual department budget. Supervised staff of up to three full-time employees.
1997 – 2014
Principal & Marketing Director (Chief Realist), ekzdesign, llc
Independent Small Business Marketing and Web Consultant
Provide strategic online and print design services for clients, including artists, designers, small retail businesses, consulting companies. Design and development of dynamic e-commerce and informational websites. Create scalable identity systems for small businesses and organizations. Noted accomplishments:
- Design and strategy for Cocoon Home, a lifestyle and design blog that has been nominated for ApartmentTherapy.com’s Homie Awards three times, most recently placing in the top five.
- Designed and produced the portfolio website for philanthropic photographer, Elizabeth Jordan. The sale of the photographer’s work benefited various nonprofits.
- 15 years of web design, marketing and management for Oregon-based competitive swimwear company, EQ Swimwear, Inc.
April 2009 – October 2010
Director of Communications
Counterpart International, Arlington, VA
Oversaw all aspects of Counterpart’s communications and marketing. Created strategic and annual plans that would further enhance Counterpart’s image, increase outreach to new audiences and strengthen established relationships, all while meeting day-to-day needs of staff in more than 30 countries. Noted accomplishments:
- Led organizational rebranding. Vetted and hired branding consultants. Acted as liaison to Executive Team and Board of Directors. Recruit external branding advisory committee. Launched internally to a staff of 1,000 in nearly 30 countries.
- Developed strategy for extending Counterpart’s message to reach target audiences through use of the Internet, media, public relations and collateral materials.
- Developed and communicate the organization’s image through press releases, media alerts, fact sheets, publicity photos, program descriptions, success stories and other strategic information.
- Prepared proposals, donor correspondence, presentations, speeches, and talking points.
- Trained staff (HQ and Overseas) on brand standards, outreach methods, branding, taking photos, writing, editing, and public speaking as requested or needed.
- Managed and coordinate annual report, internal and external newsletter and other collateral materials, including managing freelance writers and design contractor.
- Managed contract and production budget of $250K. Managed Marketing Associate and two part-time temporary staff. Managed communications interns.
October 2005 – March 2009
Director of Online Communications
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, Washington, D.C.
Managed and directed all aspects of online communications for Rails-to-Trails Conservancy. Led efforts to create and implement online strategy that enhanced mission awareness and revenue. Noted accomplishments:
- Led restructure and redesign of two organizational websites (railstotrails.org and traillink.com); integrated content management software, constituent management, e-mail marketing, fundraising and e-commerce software into the redesigned sites.
- Increased revenue by more than $200K in two years through e-commerce, streamlined donation flows.
- Increased online cultivation of an e-mail house file from 500 to nearly 200,000 in four years.
- Developed and managed blog and new media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, YouTube, etc…) and integrated with website and traditional media and print products.
- Developed and negotiated online relationships with like-minded partners to build website traffic and search engine placement.
- Managed team of more than 10 contributing on-staff/intern writers and content producers from national and field offices to keep content fresh and informative.
June 1998 – October 2005
Marketing Manager, Asia Pacific and Mesoamerica/Caribbean Regions
The Nature Conservancy, Arlington, Virginia
Managed all aspects of the Asia Pacific and subsequently the Mesoamerica and Caribbean Regional marketing programs. Led efforts to identify, create and implement marketing strategy and messaging. Developed and maintained strong internal and external communications contacts and identified targets and sources for internationally-focused conservation messages. Noted accomplishment:
Created and implemented an HTML fundraising tool, Asia Pacific Postcards from the Field, which was distributed to donors and staff. The Conservancy eventually transformed this original concept into its Great Places e-newsletter.
Prior to 1998
Marketing and Web Management, Tradeshowdirect/Bell Creative, Virginia
Electronic Publications Specialist, Systems, Integration and Research, Inc., Falls Church, Virginia
M.A. — Bretton Hall College, University of Leeds, West Yorkshire, U.K., Creative Writing (1997)
B.A. — Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, English (1995)
B.S. — Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, Interior Design (1995)
Web Developer Certificate Course — Virginia Tech, Falls Church, VA (2003)